December 29, 2005

Melancholy and U2

I've been feelin' melancholic for the past few days (which is why I haven't blogged). Bored-yet-restless, thoughtful, blank, emotional, off-centre, etc.etc.etc. Tonight, I'm really wallowing in it and I'm listening to U2 and blogging. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to write about here, but listening to some U2 songs in such a state just makes the melancholic experience complete. I just downloaded (legally purchased through iTunes) U2's rendition of 'Can't help falling in love'. When I first heard this song, I was transported elsewhere. Bono can make you really feel. I prefer this version to UB40's version, but that's just my take on it. Other songs I'm listening to: 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet', 'Walk on', 'A Day Without Me', 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', 'City of Blinding Lights', 'Desire', 'Numb', and classics 'With or Without You', 'Where the Streets Have No Name' and 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'.

*sigh* I want to get out of this funk, but I also know that unless I feel-out whatever it is I'm feeling, I won't be able to really do anything. It's highly irritating at times. But on the bright side, I guess it's good to know I don't do anything unless I'm a 100% into it.

Bono sings it perfectly:

"I'm not afraid of anything in this world
There's nothing you can throw at me that I haven't already heard
I'm just trying to find a decent melody
A song that I can sing in my own company

I never thought you were a fool
But darling, look at you
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere, baby

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it
Don't say that later will be better now you're stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it..."

2 comments:

Gary said...

Don't be sad... but if you must be sad, then find your heart in it.

Vee said...

Thanks Gary! I'm trying to. :)