August 12, 2004

This Morning

This morning as I was on my way to work, I noticed a father and daughter walking by. Something about the smiles on their faces made me pay closer attention to them. They were both dressed in similar outfits - pink shirt and blue jeans for the father and pink jacket and blue trackies for the little girl. Both blonde and blue-eyed, they made a striking picture. But what caught my attention to them, and invariably put a huge smile on my face, was how the father interacted with his little girl. She was the centre of his world and he could not take his eyes off of her. They passed by the coffee shop that I was coming out of and he asked her if she wanted some coffee simply because she was pointing at Tim Hortons. That immediately got me smiling because I love coffee and it got me thinking 'here comes another one (coffee lover), my they start young.' I looked on to see how much he adored her and just having such a positive sight in front me made my day. In this world where things are getting to be more disheartening and muddled, this was a welcoming sight. As I walked away I saw her running about and playing and I saw his ever watchful presence over her. I realized that while the bond between a mother and her child is absolute and wonderful on it's own; there is something absolutely beautiful about a father getting to know his little girl. Such feelings keep the world in the right perspective for me and make me believe in humanity because there really is too much out there than can make you feel that the world just isn't safe anymore.

1 comment:

Pixie La Roo said...

I know what you mean, the father-daughter relationship is pretty special. Reading this today has been a good reminder of that especially since it's my dads birthday and I just had this silly fight with him. No biggie, will sort it out. Thanks. :)